Walmart is continuing its onward journey to think outside of the big-box with the help of VR, this time bringing 50-foot tractor-trailers to their megalithic parking lots across the US to let shoppers go head-first into a VR experience for DreamWorks Animation’s upcoming film, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World.
Walmart says in a press release that the experience begins in an on-boarding room where the film’s mischievous twins Ruffnut and Tuffnut greet guests. Participants then don HP Windows VR headsets outfitted with Leap Motion sensors, and sit in specialized Positron Voyager motion chairs powered by the HP VR backpack.
In the VR activation, users get a chance to experience a five-minute journey through the film’s dragon utopia called ‘The Hidden World’, of course accompanied by series regulars Astrid, Hiccup, Toothless, and Hookfang. The experience serves ages eight and up.
Parents and waiting participants can follow along with the VR content their kids and friends are experiencing inside by viewing on HP Chromebooks, and play on HP’s Omen Gaming Laptops located outside the venue while they wait.
The VR experience was developed by DreamWorks and Spatial&, Walmart’s second portfolio company to launch from their incubator Store N°8. The experience is made up of “high-resolution images and 360-degree VR videos,” the company says.
Unsurprisingly, the activation also features a How to Train Your Dragon gift shop, because … Walmart. Merchandise includes plush toys, action figures, franchise DVDs, and video games.
The How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Virtual Tour will visit select cities and Walmart stores between February 15th and April 9th.
Tour Locations & Dates
- Burbank, California (1301 N Victory Place) – February 15-16
- Pico Rivera, California (8500 Washington Boulevard) – February 17-19
- Anaheim, California (440 Euclid Street) – February 22-23
- San Bernardino, California (4001 Hallmark Parkway) – February 24-26
- Las Vegas, Nevada (5200 S Fort Apache Road) – March 1-2
North Las Vegas, Nevada (6464 N Decatur Boulevard) – March 3-5
- Glendale, Arizona (5010 N 95th Avenue) – March 8-9
- Gilbert, Arizona (2501 S Market Street) – March 10-12
- San Antonio, Texas (8923 W Military Drive) – March 15-16
- New Braunfels, Texas (1209 S Interstate 35) – March 17-19
- Grand Prairie, Texas (2225 I-20) – March 22-23
- Allen, Texas (730 W Exchange Parkway) – March 24-26
- Sugar Land, Texas (345 Highway 6) – March 29-30
- Katy, Texas (1313 N Fry Road) – March 31-April 2
- Rogers, Arkansas (4208 S Pleasant Crossing Boulevard) – April 5-6
- Bentonville, Arkansas (406 S Walton Boulevard) – April 7-9
The post Walmart Brings Tricked Out ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ VR Experience to Select Stores appeared first on Road to VR.